[PyFeyn] problems with installation

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at cern.ch
Thu Oct 3 13:28:00 BST 2013

Hi again,

In fact, I just noticed that you are using PyFeyn 0.3.1. We released
0.3.2 in 2009! The reason for this is that PyPI wasn't updated when
0.3.2 was released... but I've done that now.

I'm pretty sure that the 0.3.2 release fixed the "as" problem. Not sure
about the setuptools one, but I just made some changes to solve that,
too, and will make a new 0.3.3 release (if Georg agrees). He has done a
lot more development than I have since the last public version, and it
would be nice to get those new features into an official tarball / PyPI
release. Is that ok, Georg?

On 03/10/13 13:46, Andy Buckley wrote:
> Hi Vroni,
>
> We've not updated pyfeyn for quite some time... and Python itself has
> evolved in-between, meaning that some of the dependencies that we have
> declared are now out of date.
>
> I will try to find time to do some updates soon -- in particular I'm
> surprised that that SyntaxError is still occurring: I thought we had
> eliminated use of "as" as a variable name > 1 year ago! (It used to be
> valid syntax but became illegal with Python 2.6 or so, when "as" became
> a Python langauge keyword.)
>
> Glad that you are finding PyFeyn useful! I'll let you know when I've
> done the necessary updates.
>
> Andy
>

> On 03/10/13 13:41, Veronika Magerl wrote:
>> Dear pyfeyn team,
>> I use pyfeyn since about one year. It's a very helpful tool.
>> But now I've problems to install pyfeyn on my laptop (Ubuntu 12.04).
>> Direct installation by running setup.py was not possible because
>> 'https://pypi.python.org/packages/2.7/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6c5-py2.7.egg'
>> was not found.
>> I switched to easy_install method wich seemed to work but when I try to
>> run a script, or just import pyfeyn I get the following:

>>  $ ./T1.py
>> You don't have PyX - that's a problem unless you're just running the
>> setup script.
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "./T1.py", line 3, in <module>
>>     from pyfeyn.user import *
>>   File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/pyfeyn/user.py", line 5, in <module>
>>     the PYTHONSTARTUP environment variable if it exists).
>>   File
>> "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyfeyn-0.3.1-py2.7.egg/pyfeyn/lines.py",
>> line 188
>>     as, bs = circle.intersect(line)
>>      ^
>> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>>
>> I've checked my pyx version:

>> Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 10 2013, 06:20:15)
>> [GCC 4.6.3] on linux2
>> '0.11.1'

Dr Andy Buckley, Royal Society University Research Fellow
Particle Physics Expt Group, University of Glasgow / PH Dept, CERN