[PyFeyn] problems with installation

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at cern.ch
Thu Oct 3 12:46:25 BST 2013

Hi Vroni,

We've not updated pyfeyn for quite some time... and Python itself has
evolved in-between, meaning that some of the dependencies that we have
declared are now out of date.

I will try to find time to do some updates soon -- in particular I'm
surprised that that SyntaxError is still occurring: I thought we had
eliminated use of "as" as a variable name > 1 year ago! (It used to be
valid syntax but became illegal with Python 2.6 or so, when "as" became
a Python langauge keyword.)

Glad that you are finding PyFeyn useful! I'll let you know when I've
done the necessary updates.

Andy

On 03/10/13 13:41, Veronika Magerl wrote:
> Dear pyfeyn team,
> I use pyfeyn since about one year. It's a very helpful tool.
> But now I've problems to install pyfeyn on my laptop (Ubuntu 12.04).
> Direct installation by running setup.py was not possible because
> 'https://pypi.python.org/packages/2.7/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6c5-py2.7.egg'
> was not found.
> I switched to easy_install method wich seemed to work but when I try to
> run a script, or just import pyfeyn I get the following:

>  $ ./T1.py
> You don't have PyX - that's a problem unless you're just running the
> setup script.
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./T1.py", line 3, in <module>
>     from pyfeyn.user import *
>   File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/pyfeyn/user.py", line 5, in <module>
>     the PYTHONSTARTUP environment variable if it exists).
>   File
> "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyfeyn-0.3.1-py2.7.egg/pyfeyn/lines.py",
> line 188
>     as, bs = circle.intersect(line)
>      ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
> I've checked my pyx version:

> Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 10 2013, 06:20:15)
> [GCC 4.6.3] on linux2
> '0.11.1'

Dr Andy Buckley, Royal Society University Research Fellow
Particle Physics Expt Group, University of Glasgow / PH Dept, CERN