[Vincia] [Hepforge] Fwd: Request for new HepForge account: sftnight

David Grellscheid david.grellscheid at durham.ac.uk
Wed Apr 30 11:59:52 BST 2014

Hi Peter,

> Apologies for my lack of experience with this.

Not at all, I need to explain it better on the Hepforge pages.

> So, in authz I normally only put the names of hepforge accounts, to
> control access. E.g., for Vincia, Torbjorn is a non-author reader,
> so he is in a group
>
> readers = sjostrand
>
> whose permissions are
>
> @readers = r
>
> I end the permissions with * =
>
> in order to make sure people who aren't explicitly mentioned do not
> have any kind of access.

That's all correct.

> Similarly, in htpasswd, I normally just put hepforge account names.

That is only necessary if you'd like to use a different password for the
website compared to the ssh login. By default, the SSH password should
work for the website, too.

Now to the Genser request: htpasswd can contain entries that are not
account names. They can then be controlled in just the same way as other
names, e.g.

readers = sjostrand, genser

with a matching 'genser' entry in htpasswd

> How would I add a specific non-hepforge account in an authz file? Or
> should we do it in htpasswd?

Add them to htpasswd, then mention them in authz.

See you,

  David