[Rivet] HepData consistency

David Grellscheid david.grellscheid at durham.ac.uk
Tue Oct 4 12:21:57 BST 2016

Hi Holger,

Thanks for getting out all the details! It looks really bad.

The original design assumption was that we could resync our refdata
directory from Hepdata at any time, and that we were just caching the
files for local convenience.

We need to work out where the divergence came in. When we receive new
analyses, they usually come with a refdata file that the submitter gives
us, right? At that point we never checked against Hepdata ourselves.

Some initial points that need clarification:

- Do the submitters check that the data matches?
- Does Hepdata renumber things once in a while?
- How can we find out about corrections to Hepdata?
- How should they be applied, given that the original was already
presumably a validated line?

I'm sure there's more, let's collect a few questions and contact Graeme.

See you,

  David