[Rivet] Rivet validation plots

Christian Gütschow chris.g at cern.ch
Fri May 6 13:58:54 BST 2016

Hi Jamie,

just to comment:

> My particular interest was actually in ATLAS_2013_I1190187 as we could never reproduce the p_T(lep lep met) distribution and I just saw that there was now a rivet implementation. We were not the only theory group that had this issue but we could never really get to the bottom of it (even after correspondance with ATLAS). Unfortunately (unless I've missed something) it seems like the file here only contains the data and not the validation.

Unfortunately this one was submitted already ~2 years ago, i.e. a long time before we got accustomed to submitting validation plots along with the routines.

That said, if a routine has already been used to produce the curves in the paper, then we usually don’t produce separate validation plots and only submit the routine/reference data even today.

> In general, we would love to see as much as possible! Histograms, with the data vs monte carlo is the obvious one. I've just had a random look through some of the analyses present and stumbled across ATLAS_2015_I1351916. I guess the plots here are just what we are looking for but particularly important for us is to also know exactly which Monte-Carlo was used (I have to admit that I haven't dug up the paper so perhaps this is made clear here). In any case, it would be very useful to have the information contained in the validation directory.

That’s a good point, I shall make a mental note to check that this information is provided somewhere in the legend. For this particular case, we used a Pythia6 sample for the validation, which I think is described in the paper, but I see your point: an informative legend entry won’t hurt. :-)

Cheers,
Chris

> On 05/05/16 21:06, Andy Buckley wrote:
>> On 05/05/16 19:28, Jamie Tattersall wrote:
>>> Hi Andy,
>>>
>>> This is potentially a very stupid question..... but where do I find
>>> validation material (i.e plots) for the Rivet analyses? (I've been
>>> clicking for a while now but not got anywhere).
>>
>> Hi Jamie,
>>
>> Good question! This is probably something that we should make a systematic point of putting online. For the last year or so, we have managed to get the experiments to supply validation plots along with the code, and those plot sets are in the tarballs at
>> https://www.hepforge.org/archive/rivet/contrib/
>>
>> For a lot of the SM ones, there are also fairly up-to-date comparisons against modern generators at http://mcplots.cern.ch/
>>
>> But we don't yet have a repository of e.g. generator comparisons to all plots on the Rivet website. It is something that we could add, though... just putting our new nightly validation outputs on the website for example.
>>
>> I guess that you are more interested in the BSM analyses, though. What sort of validation would you like to see for those? As you know, they haven't been a major emphasis so far, but that is changing so any input is welcome!
>>
>> Andy

 —

 Dr. Christian Gütschow

 TU Dresden