[Rivet] e+ e- from photon decay

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at cern.ch
Wed Feb 3 15:02:24 GMT 2016

I thought a bit more on what Chris has rightly said, and I think (but
please prove me wrong) that there's a deeper issue in that isolated
photon conversion is fundamentally Lorentz-symmetry-violating. So it
only makes sense in the resolution of shower photon virtuality > 2m_e
and even then is dodgy because that off-shellness is there more by
accident than design.

The real physical source of conversions in experiments is on-shell
photon interactions with detector material, which doesn't apply to
Rivet. Or you may have been referring to matrix element amplitudes with
a photon propagator and final-state electrons: that's not a well-defined
event "history", so to be physical you need to make the "photon"
identification based on some other properties of those final-state
electrons.

Please let us know if we can help further...

Andy

On 03/02/16 14:37, Chris Pollard wrote:
> Hi Vlad,
>
> We don't have a method that does this, no, largely because this is not a
> generator-independent thing to ask. It's in principal possible for
> off-shell photons to be created in the event shower and to pair produce
> electrons, but I don't think there's any guarantee that the photon is
> actually written to the event record.
>
> Does that make sense?
>
> Chris
>
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 12:12 PM, Vladyslav Danilov
> <vladyslav.danilov at desy.de <mailto:vladyslav.danilov at desy.de>> wrote:
>
>     Hello!
>
>     My name is Vlad, i work in ATLAS group at DESY.
>     Could You please help me with one question - i wonder to know
>     whether Rivet has some class or method that determines e+ e- to be
>     from photon decay?
>     I spent some time for search it among Rivet classes, but i didn't find.
>
>     Sorry for disturbing.
>
>     Best regards,
>        Vlad

Dr Andy Buckley, Lecturer / Royal Society University Research Fellow
Particle Physics Expt Group, University of Glasgow