[Rivet] CMS_2015_I1370682.tgz

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at cern.ch
Mon Nov 30 11:48:13 GMT 2015

I've not looked at it yet, but my gut feeling is that new analysis/expt
types like this are best included in the analysis plugin code itself,
where they can go in an unnamed namespace to avoid symbol clashes.

That way the .cc file remains a self-contained implementation of the
analysis, and does not require e.g. to be used with a version of Rivet
new enough to contain CMS_PseudoTop_2015.

This will introduce some duplication -- at least, it will if there is
more than one analysis for each iteration of the CMS PseudoTop class --
but I think it's worth that for the increased safety and analysis
"encapsulation".

But I've not looked at the code yet; I guess I'm likely to have some
opinions about it ;-)

Andy

On 30/11/15 11:41, David Grellscheid wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Opinions on this? I'm tempted to say yes, with a caveat that the
> CMS_PseudoTop projection
>
> (1) has to pass review by us, independently of any given analysis
> (2) gets a versioned name like CMS_PseudoTop_2015 and
> (3) does _not_ get its physics changed later without a version change
>
> (3) is particularly important to avoid a potential combinatoric
> nightmare of tracing intentions on older papers using the same analysis.
>
> See you,
>
>    David
>

> On 27/11/2015 20:42, Janssen Xavier wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am submitting the first TOP plugin from CMS but we need to discuss
>> as the people responsible for it wrote a ‘PseudoTop’ class that they
>> intend to re-use across different analysis in the future.
>> I am not sure however how this works for you and maybe it needs ad
>> minima renaming to CMS_PseudoTop
>>
>> Let me known,
>>
>> Xavier,

Dr Andy Buckley, Lecturer / Royal Society University Research Fellow
Particle Physics Expt Group, University of Glasgow