[Rivet] Branched release-2-0

David Grellscheid david.grellscheid at durham.ac.uk
Mon Jan 27 12:53:25 GMT 2014

Hi Frank,

> How do I do this "pulling from release-2.0 into default"?

Merging is a _local_ operation. It combines two nodes of the revision
tree into a single new one. Typically these two nodes are leaf nodes,
but they don't have to be.

So pull / push are not directly relevant for the merge. You can _always_
pull more stuff from anywhere into your repo without affecting your
branch, all it will do is give you more additional leaf nodes ("heads")
on yor revision tree.

For the merge procedure you should sit on the branch whose label you
want the merge result to have, i.e. in our case "default":

$ cd rivet
$ hg update default
[ make sure all committed, up to date and clean ]

$ # maybe hg pull stuff from another URL

$ hg heads
[ shows at least two heads, one of which you sit on already ]

$ hg merge release-2.0  # or use numeric revision ID
[fix conflicts, mark each as resolved with 'hg resolve -m']

$ hg commit -m'merged from release to trunk'
[ merge commit always has the branch label of where you are sitting, it
does not pick up the "release-2" label ]

$ hg push somewhere
[optional, nothing to do with the merge as such. Here, you're sharing
your merge outcome with everyone else, just like any other committed
changeset]

> But I'm actually coming to think now that it might be more appropriate
> to point the dev-mode bootstrap to release-2-0

It's a difficult choice. Depends on what you want to check in: bugfixes
and new analyses always need to go onto the release branch, but new
structural developments should be on default.

> But I'm actually coming to think now that it might be more appropriate
> to point the dev-mode bootstrap to release-2-0 (and bump this for each
> release), since that's most likely what a "dev-mode user" wants to
> have, i.e. latest analyses. Do you agree? For "real dev-mode guys"
> it'll be trivial after the bootstrap to hg up to the default branch.

I agree. release-2-0 is a good default to use.

>> In Mercurial the most tricky operation is to disentangle checkins that got
>> onto the wrong branch. Please make extra sure your commits go to the right
>> place!
>
> That's why I ask ;-)

Thanks! :-D

  David