[Rivet] python in rivet 1.8.1

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at ed.ac.uk
Mon Jul 9 18:17:23 BST 2012

Hi Mikhail,

Odd -- that "import dl" is actually a fallback in the case that "import
ctypes" doesn't work, so your Python installation must have been a real
mess! So I'm not sure we should add an explicit test for what should be
a standard Python behaviour: we can't write our configure script to test
for *every* standard Python feature that might be used!

At least this should have been a runtime failure, meaning that you could
update your Python installation without having to restart the
compilation from scratch: right?

Are you able to test the broken Python setup now? My impression is that
a test of "python -m ctypes || python -m dl" should be sufficient as a
test... if so, I'll add it to our configure script for next time.

Andy

PS. 1-2 hours to compile Rivet? Really?! You need a better build
machine, or failing that, a distcc setup! Seriously, if your job is to
build generators and it takes hours to build Rivet, how long does
ThePEG+Herwig++ take? I'm assuming that you're already using parallel
make, i.e. -j5 or so depending on your build machine.