[Rivet] Transverse mass bug(?)

Gavin Hesketh gavin.hesketh at cern.ch
Fri Apr 13 11:38:19 BST 2012

Hi again,
by the way, I was working with Rivet 1.8. I put a simple fix into my
local version, in Projections/InvMassFinalState.cc:

if (_useTransverseMass) {
  passedMassCut = inRange(v4.massT(), _minmass, _maxmass);
         } else {

becomes:

if (_useTransverseMass) {
  passedMassCut = inRange(massT(i1->momentum(), i2->momentum()) ,
                          _minmass, _maxmass);
         } else {

where I also added this helper function:

double massT( FourMomentum v1, FourMomentum v2) {
  return sqrt( (v1.Et() + v2.Et())*(v1.Et() + v2.Et()) -
               (v1+v2).perp()*(v1+v2).perp() );
}

The existing massT and massT2 functions should be deleted from
Vector4.hh. This still compiled fine in my local vesion, so I guess this
function was only being called by InvMassFinalState.cc.

At some point an an analysis someone will want to plot the W transverse
mass; I guess this would have to be done along the lines of:

massT( wfinder.constituentLeptons()[0].momentum(),
wfinder.constituentNeutrinos()[0].momentum() );

but maybe you have some better ideas.

cheers,
	Gavin