[Rivet] aidamerge

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at ed.ac.uk
Sat Aug 20 18:30:36 BST 2011

Hi Hannes and all,

Please, note that the aidamerge script is not an official Rivet script:
it's an example of how you might write a script to do some *approximate*
statistical merging of independent runs.

Because we don't currently store enough information to do the merging
exactly, this script has to make some guesses, and that's why we don't
offically support it. So you should make sure that it's doing merging
appropriate for your data -- using it blindly *will* lead to errors.

So have a look in the code. From my own glances inside it, the
approximate merging algorithm used assumes that the samples you are
merging of the same size (you could add scale factors to a local copy if
you need them), and that you are either merging normalised histograms or
profile histograms -- if your data is of a different type, most notably
un-normalised histograms, then the assumed error scaling will be
incorrect. You mentioned ratios, Hannes: I *think* the scaling is
probably correct, i.e. more data makes the values converge to the
(weighted) mean of the runs and the errors get smaller as 1/sqrt(N)...
but it depends on exactly what you're doing.

Andy