[Rivet] Problem with rivet-bootstrap

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at ed.ac.uk
Thu Oct 28 16:03:37 BST 2010

On 28/10/10 14:14, Kiran Joshi wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> Thanks for fixing the AGILe tarball, I managed to install it without any further problems.
>
> I've now got another problem when trying to run RIVET:
>
> After I installed RIVET using the bootstrap, I ran rivet -h and everything seemed to be working correctly.
> I then copied the environment variable settings to my .bashrc, but have not been able to get RIVET to run again.
>
> When I try running rivet -h, I now get the message "rivet requires the 'rivet' python module".
> In my .bashrc I have done:
> export PYTHONPATH=.../RIVET/lib64/python2.4/site-packages
> (as well as all the other paths in the rivetenv.sh file)
>
> and I have tried source-ing rivetenv.sh again, but this doesn't solve the problem.
>
> I realise that this is probably a problem with my specific set up, but any ideas would be appreciated.

Yes, a bit hard to debug with this information! It looks to me like it's
likely to be a 32 bit/64 bit issue... maybe the version of Python in
your path is 32 bit and it's trying to load 64 bit built libraries or
similar.

Running "rivet --help --verbose" might (should) give a more complete
debug printout: I suspect that the "user friendly" message about
requiring the "rivet" module is hiding an attempt to load that module
which fails because either the _rivet module library, or one of the
libraries it chains to, is the wrong architecture. We try to get these
things right (e.g. prepending to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in rivetenv.sh) but
it's not 100% foolproof!

Hope that helps: with more debug printout we can maybe get a bit further.

Dr Andy Buckley
SUPA Advanced Research Fellow
Particle Physics Experiment Group, University of Edinburgh

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.