[Rivet] [Yoda] YODA development

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at ed.ac.uk
Thu Nov 12 21:50:56 GMT 2009

Frank Siegert wrote:
> Andy Buckley, Thursday 29 October 2009:
>>   * Check out the code and see if you can build and install it. There
>> are no dependencies. It worked for Eike, but you never know!
>
> I had to fix two issues to make YODA itself compile, have committed them.
> I didn't think I had such an unusual setup, so how come it worked for
> everybody else?
>
> Now when I want to link against it, I notice that the headers don't get
> installed in $prefix/include/YODA, but directly into $prefix/include. This
> breaks even the included Test1.cc and Test2.cc. The most elegant fix that
> I can think of, is to replace "Yoda" -> "YODA" in AC_INIT and then use
> pkginclude_HEADERS instead of include_HEADERS in include/YODA/Makefile.am.
> Just wanted to ask here first before I commit this.

Go ahead.

>>   * Try running some of the test scripts and programs in the tests
>> directory. Have a look at the code and comment on whether you think the
>> API sucks or can be improved in small ways.
>
> Minor comment on the API: Is there any reason why you prefer to duplicate
> methods e.g. in Histo1D constructors with and without "path" and "title"
> arguments, instead of using default values for them? Does that make it
> easier for the Python bindings?

I think that may have been behind it... although I suspect I was just
trying to emphasise that histograms don't actually have to have names,
paths, etc. at all.

I'm trying to kill off (i.e. do!) a lot of other work that's currently
getting in the way, then will get back into YODA and be able to speak
from familiarity rather than distant memory ;)

Dr Andy Buckley
SUPA Advanced Research Fellow
Particle Physics Experiment Group, University of Edinburgh