[Rivet] [Rivet-svn] r1745 - in trunk: include/Rivet src

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at ed.ac.uk
Thu Aug 6 11:59:21 BST 2009

Frank Siegert wrote:
> Frank Siegert, Wednesday 05 August 2009:
>> blackhole at projects.hepforge.org, Wednesday 05 August 2009:
>>> Author: fsiegert
>>> Date: Wed Aug  5 16:34:46 2009
>>> New Revision: 1745
>> Nevermind. On a different machine the problem is still there, even
>> without the smart pointer. So I'll debug further ...
>
> It seems that I have to remove the pre-created rivet.py* and
> rivet_wrap.cc* from the pyext directory and have them recompiled.
> Otherwise all kinds of undeterministic things happen, e.g. the second
> point in https://projects.hepforge.org/rivet/trac/ticket/323 was solved by
> this in the case which I have just tested.
>
> Now this seems to be a generic problem that the Python interface will have
> to be updated when the classes change. Maybe it would already help, if the
> functions are not implemented in the header file, but in the source? Then
> at least changes in them wouldn't affect the Python interface files.
> Or am I completely wrong?

I think you're right. So please go ahead and move the function
implementations into the cc files.

In the long run I would like to be able to rely on having a functional
version of SWIG on the system, particularly as the generated sources are
*big* files, but for now I think we have to keep bundling them and just
avoid changing the bits of SWIG-exposed interface when possible.

> If nobody objects I can do that. Andy, could you then afterwards recreate
> the rivet.py-HepMC* and rivet_wrap.cc-HepMC* files such that they are up-
> to-date with the classes?

Sure... I would like to get a repository of HEP packages like HepMC,
Fastjet, LHAPDF set up on the IPPP system for different platforms, to
make this sort of testing easier (and for Hudson to use), so I'll try
and get that underway first, to avoid replicating this sort of tedious work!

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.