[Rivet] Running Rivet on the grid

Frank Siegert frank.siegert at durham.ac.uk
Mon Oct 13 16:50:32 BST 2008

Hi James, Andy,

thanks for the script.

Andy Buckley, Friday 10 October 2008:
> James Monk wrote:
> >     ./RivetGrid -vo <MY_VO> -g Herwig:6510 -n 1000 - p IPROC=1500
> > etc...
>
> Thanks James, this is excellent. I can't get it to run at the moment,
> but I think that has more to do with the IPPP Grid setup than your
> script. At least, I don't think it's getting far enough to test the
> script properly!

The script still uses the edg-* commands to submit jobs to the GRID. As
far as I know, EDG resource brokers are slowly being phased out, in
favour of gLite workload management servers. This means the edg-*
commands have to be replaced by glite-wms-* in the near future. Depending
on which resource broker you used, Andy, you might have had one that has
already decommissioned its EDG resource brokers? RAL Tier1 for example
will drain them on 28 Nov. (see email attached at the bottom)

We should probably switch the script to using glite-wms already, I am
testing it now and will let you know whether it works and which changes
are needed. I am also still pondering whether I am going to use such a
script in the Rivet validation tool, or whether the grid-submission
capabilities should be part of the tool itself. I am in favour of the
latter, as the tool will have to do some simple monitoring and output
retrieval as well, which is maybe beyond the scope of a simple RivetGrid
script.

Cheers,
Frank