[Rivet] Running Rivet on the grid

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at durham.ac.uk
Fri Oct 10 17:24:50 BST 2008

James Monk wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I attach a bash script that will run Rivet on the grid.  I had a little
> trouble with 64 Vs 32 bit libraries (not knowing what the node is going
> to be), which I think are solved, but maybe we will run into other
> problems with more use.  Once on the node the script downloads a couple
> of tarballs of libs from my web space at UCL (90 MB).
>
> You need to set up your grid environment in the usual way (for ATLAS
> users this is 'source
> /afs/cern.ch/project/gd/LCG-share/current/etc/profile.d/grid_env.sh')
> and then do
>
>     ./RivetGrid -vo <MY_VO> -g Herwig:6510 -n 1000 - p IPROC=1500 etc...

Thanks James, this is excellent. I can't get it to run at the moment,
but I think that has more to do with the IPPP Grid setup than your
script. At least, I don't think it's getting far enough to test the
script properly!

> I guess if we can perfect this it may be useful for users who quickly
> want to get going with Rivet without needing to install all the usual
> packages (and it would've been bloody useful during the Debrecen
> tutorial, if I'd thought of it!)

Absolutely. Let's keep that in mind and see if we can do a Grid-based
tutorial for YETI. Depending on the job latency this may be useful,
although we might/probably still want to have local Rivet installs for
smaller productions.

Dr Andy Buckley
Institute for Particle Physics Phenomenology
Durham University
0191 3343798 | 0191 3732613 | www.insectnation.org