[Rivet] see only CCPythia when executing rivetgun

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at durham.ac.uk
Wed Jan 23 17:03:12 GMT 2008

James Monk wrote:
> I just tried building the Genser version of Herwig on my laptop and
> fell at the first hurdle unfortunately.  It insists upon g77 as the
> fortran compiler, and I have been using gfortran to build everything
> up until now.  I'm reticent to install g77 as it seems a bit of a
> fudge to use g77 from gcc 3.4 with gcc 4 (especially when g77 is no
> longer being developed and gfortran has worked well for me up 'till
> now).
>
> I can either "fix" their configure script to use gfortran (FLIBS will
> no doubt also be wrong), but would it make more sense to just write an
> autotools build script - it would probably be less work anyway since
> it will also take care of things like dylib names and undefined
> symbols automatically.

This is exactly the sort of issue that I think we need to raise at the
next Genser meeting, on the 6th Feb. That Genser bootstrapping script
includes some hacks to fix the already broken Genser build files, and I
think we need to report the problems that you're having, too. I
completely agree that a proper system like autotools should be used,
which shouldn't be too hard given that we already have autotools-bundled
generators of our own.

Unfortunately I can't attend the meeting on the 6th - if we put our
concerns on an AGILe wiki page, can someone on the list make sure they
get represented at the meeting (I'll also contact Alberto Ribon beforehand)