[Rivet] DISLepton Class fails to find outgoing lepton

Andrii Verbytskyi andrii.verbytskyi at desy.de
Tue Nov 14 17:05:56 GMT 2017

Hi Marian, Andy,

0) The event contains loops. It is better to generate events with Sherpa
with HEPMC_TREE_LIKE=1 or so. See docs.  Have you used it?

1)
On Tue, 2017-11-14 at 16:43 +0000, Andy Buckley wrote:
> Hi Andrii,
>
> If the particle status codes are not 1 or 2, there is no guarantee
> that HepMC vertices correspond to physical processes. They may just be
> bookkeeping devices, e.g. to absorb parton shower recoils (or in this
> case perhaps the QED radiation treatment) -- this wouldn't be a Sherpa
> bug, but a valid use of the freedoms in the HepMC standard. So we
> can't have projection code that assumes particular vertex structures,
> because there will always be such edge-cases.

In general you are right, but not for electron in DIS that is coming
from hard process. The only thing one expects from it is e->e+gamma  or
e-> W nu ( not in Rivet anyway). But no hadronisation vertices.

Sherpa mixes everything together, in one vertex.
I haven't said that is a bug, but a *problem*. A problem for kinematics
reconstruction.

> Can you explain what the logic of your DIS lepton finder is? (The code
> is not super-easy to follow.) Hopefully an understanding of the
> intention will help us to find a safer definition.

The logic comes from  DIS definition: scattered lepton is the beam
electron that went through e->e gamma/Z0 or e-> W nu vertices.

Best regards,
Andrii