[Rivet] PSTrick on ratio-only plots

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at cern.ch
Fri Sep 2 15:19:58 BST 2016

On 30/08/16 16:43, Simon Paul Berlendis wrote:
>  Dear Rivet expert,
>
>  I'm trying to do some plot-cosmetic using PSTrick with "SPECIAL" object
> as it is explained here <https://rivet.hepforge.org/make-plots.html>.
>  However, I'm realizing that this package doesn't work for ratio-only
> plots.
>
>  In attached, you can find a tarball with a simple example. There is one
> yoda sample, one config file and one bash script to plot the ratio plot
> of this yoda file with the config file. If you test it, you will see
> that none of the object that I try to create with PSTrick (lines and
> texts) appears on the plot.
>
>  I'm still using Rivet 2.4.2.
>
>  Am I missing something ? Is there a way to fix this bug ?

Hi Simon,

Interesting. I guess there is an issue with the sort of coordinates
being passed to the special rendering. I have a feeling that it maybe
defines the coords as fractions of the main plot, so if the main plot
has zero height then the specials are also squeezed to zero height. Just
a guess. Not sure what the workaround is, other than hacking the .tex
file output by rivet-cmphistos...

It'd be good to improve this, but far down our priority list as you can
probably guess. Could you maybe take a look at the make-plots code and
see if there'd be a better/alternative way to embed specials or give
them coordinates relative to the whole plot frame/canvas? It feels like
that's what's needed. Maybe with a control flag to choose what the
default special coords are relative to.

Dr Andy Buckley, Lecturer / Royal Society University Research Fellow
Particle Physics Expt Group, University of Glasgow