[Rivet] Time for Rivet 2.5.3?

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at cern.ch
Wed Dec 7 11:51:53 GMT 2016

On 07/12/16 11:18, Holger Schulz wrote:

> On 07/12/16 10:35, Andy Buckley wrote:

>>> Looks like the file system with the hepmc files was not mounted after
>>> rebooting IPPP computing
>>> on the weekend. The builds went all through just fine, the testing was
>>> affected 'only'.
>>
>> Brilliant. So no build/test issues on the 2.5.x head?
>>
> No, I did local tests and things run smoothly. I'll do a dummy commit to
> trigger
> the whole build chain to make things nice again.

>>> Ok agreed!

>>> I volunteer for that one.
>>
>> Amazing, thank you! Changes like that on the "default" branch (aka
>> trunk), please -- and you can re-apply your GSL removal there, if not
>> already done. Thanks!
> Ok will do, Chris however mentioned that some people wanted to use gsl
> stuff in an analysis,
> I think some minimisation stuff, not sure what do do now.

Hmm, that's a first. Any details, Chris?

Fits into the general question of "what external libs do we allow?".

The GSL interface is actually pretty nasty from a C++ perspective, so I
think it'd be best if we could avoid exposing all that raw-C-array, raw
pointers, etc. stuff to analysis users... but what's the alternative?
Pity Minuit isn't available anymore without hauling in the rest of ROOT,
and all its runtime foibles & attempts to grab the wheel :-/

Dr Andy Buckley, Lecturer / Royal Society University Research Fellow
Particle Physics Expt Group, University of Glasgow