[Rivet] New LHCB analysis --- definition of z_0

Holger Schulz holger.schulz at durham.ac.uk
Wed Nov 4 14:39:41 GMT 2015

On 04/11/15 14:18, David Grellscheid wrote:
>>> Isn't Beams::IP always going to be (0; 0,0,0)? We used to have a
>>> PrimaryVertex projection and it was totally pointless.
>>
>> I'd still leave it in. ThePEG can generate IP offsets (although nobody
>> uses them), and I could imagine other situations that we shouldn't lock
>> out.
>
> Let me clarify why for once I'm in favour of a (slightly) more
> complicated option: the fact that all current generators produce
> (0,0,0,0) here is not enforced by any of the tools we use upstream,
> it's just a coincidence. HepMC allows any value in that field, so we
> should be able to handle any value there.
>
>   David

I have boiled down their code to these two lines of HepMC stuff:

    const HepMC::GenVertex* vtx = p.genParticle()->production_vertex();
    Vector3 d(vtx->position().x(), vtx->position().y(),
    vtx->position().z());

It's not perfect but it's just two lines that hardly justify changes to
the Particle class.
I will put it into rivet like this now.

A validation plot is attached.

Thanks,