[Rivet] New LHCB analysis --- definition of z_0

Holger Schulz holger.schulz at durham.ac.uk
Wed Nov 4 08:32:41 GMT 2015

Hi,

so a FourVector Particle::origin()
and FourVector Beams::IP()

would be sufficient to do the following calculation currently
implemented in that LHCB analysis.

      const FourVector vppv(vt, vx, vy, vz);
      const FourVector vpivtx(vt, vx, vy, vz);
      const Vector3 diffPV = vpivtx.vector3() - vppv.vector3();
      const Vector3 versor = pp.momentum().p3().unit();
      Vector3 dist(diffPV);
       double vProjMom = dot(diffPV, versor);
       dist -= multiply(versor, vProjMom);
       return dist.mod() * millimeter;

I don't see the need for introducing 4-vectors here in this method.

We probably want  a more generalised method which allows calculation
of the distance of closest approach in z to an arbitrary FourMomentum
or Vector3

so maybe
Particle::z0(FourMomentum);
and/or