[Rivet] Question on searches in rivet

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at cern.ch
Tue Sep 23 23:48:08 BST 2014

I'm on holiday at the moment so can't answer properly, but the short
answer is that a lot of BSM analyses are relatively insensitive to
detector effects: the cuts on HT or missing ET are sufficiently high
that soft contributions to it are irrelevant, for example. Some of the
truth-level BSM studies in Rivet were checked against the likelihood
contours given by ATLAS and more or less reproduced the same result.

So they can be usefully used for phenomenology without getting into
detector fast simulation, which may not be doing such a great job in
practice and should really be checked in detail for each case although
there are hundreds of pheno papers which run it blindly...

Andy

--
Dr Andy Buckley, Royal Society University Research Fellow
Particle Physics Expt Group, University of Glasgow / PH Dept, CERN