[Rivet] Rivet first use

Holger Schulz hschulz at physik.hu-berlin.de
Wed Nov 26 10:58:35 GMT 2014

On 26/11/14 10:35, Bijan Chokoufe Nejad wrote:
> Hi all,
Hi Bijan,

> I just installed Rivet the first time and used the bootstrap script.
>
> Given my HepMC files, I ran rivet according to
> https://rivet.hepforge.org/trac/wiki/FirstRivetRun with the
> OPAL_2001_S4553896 analysis.
>
> At first, it hung at rivet-mkhtml without clear indication what is going
> wrong. By following the code, I finally found that it was due to missing
> texlive-pstricks. Shouldn't a working latex installation be checked for
> in the configure script? At least I assumed that it would.
Rivet itself does not require latex, it's the plotting bit that needs it.
There is some development to move away from using pstricks
for plotting so I am not sure if a check for pstricks will be of high
priority for future releases.

> Having fixed that I know see nice plots in
> plots/OPAL_2001_S4553896/*.pdf but the index.html is rather empty:

> <head>
> <title>Plots from Rivet analyses</title>
>    html { font-family: sans-serif; }
>    img { border: 0; }
>    a { text-decoration: none; font-weight: bold; }
> <script type="text/x-mathjax-config">
> MathJax.Hub.Config({
>    tex2jax: {inlineMath: [["$","$"]]}
> });
> </script>
> <script type="text/javascript"
>
> src="http://cdn.mathjax.org/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js?config=TeX-AMS-MML_HTMLorMML">
> </script>
> </head>
> <h3><a href="OPAL_2001_S4553896/index.html"
> style="text-decoration:none;">Four-jet angles using Durham algorithm
> (OPAL_2001_S4553896)</a></h3>
> href="http://durpdg.dur.ac.uk/cgi-bin/spiface/hep/www?irn+4553896">Spires</a>
> | Eur.Phys.J.C20:601-615,2001| doi:10.1007/s100520100699
> | arXiv:hep-ex/0101044</p>
> four jets defined using the Durham algorithm with
> $y_\mathrm{cut}=0.008$. The data is presented at the parton level and
> includes the Bengtsson-Zerwas, Korner-Schierholz-Willrodt and
> Nachtmann-Reiter angles as well as the angle between the two softest
> jets.</p>
>
> No attempt to show the generated pngs? Any idea what is going wrong here?
Would you mind sending me your output file and maybe a screenshot of
your browser
when opening index.html?

> Finally, a minor bug. Your link in the menu bar to Troubleshooting
> doesn't work.
Thanks, this is fixed now.

> Otherwise, keep it up! I really like the idea and plots of Rivet :).
Thanks you :)

Holger