[Rivet] AIDA branch closed (gzip next...)

Leif Lönnblad leif.lonnblad at thep.lu.se
Fri May 23 08:35:08 BST 2014

On 2014-05-23 07:24, David Grellscheid wrote:
> I agree with that. A good behaviour for Rivet would be to
>
>   - check if zlib is available
>   - if yes, always compile it in
>   - => transparently understand zipped and non-zipped HepMC files
>   - if zlib not compiled in and we encounter a gzip file (check first 4
>   bytes are \x1f \x8b), output a useful message.

Is there any unix distribution that doesn't come with the gzip
executable by default? In ThePEG I have a fall-back that pipes a file
through gzip in case zlib is not available. It doesn't work if the input
is already sent through a pipe to rivet, but in that case there's not
much point in zipping...

Cheers,
Leif