[Rivet] Fwd: Ratio measurements in Rivet

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at cern.ch
Fri May 16 21:05:50 BST 2014

Hi guys,

In case you didn't see my reply to Felix...

Yes, Gerhard is right -- at *present* Rivet can only make histograms
that come from one sort of run because the finalize() step where such
histo combination would be done is run in each run rather than as a
separate process.

The same issue means that it's hard to handle run merging for any
complex observable such as e.g. the asymmetry A-B/A+B of two
histograms... although we play a few tricks in our merging script to
identify simple normalized histos or ratios and not screw them up!

This is no different from any other analysis... and it isn't hard to
write a custom script to retrieve the numerator and denominator histos
and do the division outside Rivet. However, we are working on a
development that will allow Rivet's finalize to be run separately, which
will solve these sorts of problems for once and for all, so please make
the analyses, add all the histograms that you can, and put in a big "///
@todo <insert description>" Doxygen comment into the analysis and tell
us about it, and we will "upgrade" it when possible!

Andy

--
Dr Andy Buckley, Royal Society University Research Fellow
Particle Physics Expt Group, University of Glasgow / PH Dept, CERN