[Rivet] python2 change

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at cern.ch
Mon May 12 10:59:39 BST 2014

On 12/05/14 11:32, David Grellscheid wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
>> PS. Riveteers, I note that Hannes' Mac has explicit /usr/bin/python2,3
>> executables, as do the Ubuntu and SL installations checked by Frank and
>> myself. So unless there are objections I suggest that we move to
>> explicitly invoking "python2" rather than "python" in our Rivet (and
>> YODA) scripts from the next release.
>
> Please don't hide requests like this at the bottom of other topics.

Hmm, good point.

> The change is not going to work on OS X, since there is no python2
> symlink. You have to explicitly specify the second digit.

That's the question I didn't get any answer to on the thread that *was*
about python2 ;-)

But on Hannes' Mac, as mentioned above, this symlink does exist (in
/usr/bin). Is that a new thing in Mavericks or something custom done by
Hannes?

Damn, I thought it seemed that calling "python2" was now viable on ~all
active platforms. Grr, why do Mac dev tools always have to be less
convenient than everyone else's?!? If there are (many) Macs out there
without "python2" aliases then I don't think we can yet roll out this
change... there will be too many complaints/support requests.

Refusing to install if "python" points at Python3 could be a
possibility, but AFAIK the only people who will currently experience
problems are Arch users who are probably technically competent enough to
find a workaround for the current sitation (and then give us a patch...)

Dr Andy Buckley, Royal Society University Research Fellow
Particle Physics Expt Group, University of Glasgow / PH Dept, CERN