[Rivet] Wrong latex configuration on some systems

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at cern.ch
Mon Mar 17 12:27:26 GMT 2014

Ok, thanks Frank. I am slightly wary since this has been such an
unpredictable area before, but since it's a change of less than a factor
of 10 we probably didn't explore this value yet.

Oldrich, how did you reach a value of 12M? Was that the highest round
value that didn't crash your system, or is it a bit more ad hoc than
that? e.g. would 15M also work?

I'll certainly let you know if it messes up on my machine before we make
another release ;-)

In the long run I think re-writing make-plots is still a very good idea,
although of course none of us get much academic cachet for doing such
things. I recently started again on some hacking with David Mallows'
amazing TeX/Cairo hybrid rendering system, after a 6 month break --
playing with plot cosmetics is rather fun since you see the results
immediately! It looks very much like make-plots, but is technically a
lot nicer and much faster. I'll circulate a test version to this Rivet
dev list for people to play with, once I've made it a bit more
presentable, and hopefully we can transition to that in the next year
(I'm being realistic: it will take that long to find manpower to
translate the make-plots logic and debug to the extent that's needed).

Andy