[Rivet] rivet 2 on Mac OSX

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at cern.ch
Tue Jun 10 10:10:45 BST 2014

Hi Hannes,

Looks like this is a FastJet bug in OS X Mavericks, which was fixed last
year. From http://fastjet.fr/all-releases.html:

29 October 2013: fastjet-3.0.6 (manual, doxygen, fjcore) is a minor
maintenance release. Main changes:
fixed compilation issues for two plugins using clang (clang-500.2.79,
Apple LLVM version 5.0 based on LLVM 3.3svn) under OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

We hadn't updated the fastjet version in our bootstrap script, because
until recently LCG had not installed releases later than 3.0.3, but I've
done it now. Re-download the bootstrap and try again... hopefully it'll
work this time.

By the way, on Mavericks I think it is still necessary to set

export CFLAGS=-Qunused-arguments
export CPPFLAGS=-Qunused-arguments

before running the bootstrap script, due to an OS X clang/Python bug:
see http://stackoverflow.com/a/22322645/91808 if you want details.
Otherwise it will fail late in the build as it tries to build the Rivet
or YODA Python modules.

On 10/06/14 09:24, Hannes Jung wrote:
> Dear Riveters
>
> still having problems to get rivet 2 installed on Mac OSX Mavericks
>
> following the advice of Andy at our CMS meeting on Friday, I tried
> to compile everything using clang and clang++ with the command:
>
> INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/software/rivet CC=clang CXX=clang++ MAKE="make -j8"
> ./rivet-bootstrap
>

> but then I got an error on fastjet:
>
> libtool: compile:  clang++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
> -I../../../include/fastjet -O3 -Wall -g -Woverloaded-virtual -DDROP_CGAL
> -I. -I./../../../include -MT libCDFcode_la-JetCluAlgorithm.lo -MD -MP
> -MF .deps/libCDFcode_la-JetCluAlgorithm.Tpo -c JetCluAlgorithm.cc
> <http://JetCluAlgorithm.cc>  -fno-common -DPIC -o
> .libs/libCDFcode_la-JetCluAlgorithm.o
> JetCluAlgorithm.cc <http://JetCluAlgorithm.cc>:81:16: error: use of
> undeclared identifier 'abs'; did you
>       mean 'fabs'?
>           int dIEta = abs(iEtaSeedTower - iEtaPreClusterTower);
>                       ^~~
>                       fabs
> /usr/include/math.h:431:15: note: 'fabs' declared here
> extern double fabs(double);
>               ^
> JetCluAlgorithm.cc <http://JetCluAlgorithm.cc>:82:16: error: use of
> undeclared identifier 'abs'; did you
>       mean 'fabs'?
>           int dIPhi = abs(iPhiSeedTower - iPhiPreClusterTower);
>                       ^~~
>                       fabs
> /usr/include/math.h:431:15: note: 'fabs' declared here
> extern double fabs(double);
>               ^
> 2 errors generated.
> make[3]: *** [libCDFcode_la-JetCluAlgorithm.lo] Error 1
>

> Any idea to solve this ?
> Is this just a Mac problem ?
>
> Thanks a lot
> Cheers
> Hannes

> Hannes Jung
> Email: Hannes.Jung at desy.de <mailto:Hannes.Jung at desy.de>
> mobile :+49 40 8998 93741
> http://www.desy.de/~jung
> Tel: +49 (0) 40 8998 3741
> Fax: +49 (0) 40 8994 3741
> DESY, CMS 01B/02.213
> Notkestr.85, 22603 Hamburg, FRG

Dr Andy Buckley, Royal Society University Research Fellow
Particle Physics Expt Group, University of Glasgow / PH Dept, CERN