[Rivet] Additional data removed from rivet

David Grellscheid david.grellscheid at durham.ac.uk
Thu Jun 5 09:09:31 BST 2014

Hi Andy,

> The rest of the data in the HepData tables was unusably mangled because
> (again!) the bin widths hadn't been accounted for when the data was
> entered. I assumed that no-one had been using it until now, since it was
> so obviously wrong!

I'm not sure which dataset you mean. Are you saying that the data used
to be in Hepdata but was removed for inconsistencies?

>> I hope we haven't lost data in this manner elsewhere. We also need a
>> flag to indicate when the YODA file is not taken 1-to-1 from Hepdata and
>> needs to be preserved.
>
> Yes. Or ideally get the missing data into HepData: isn't that the
> preferred way? I feel a bit uncomfortable about the idea that data was
> sufficiently private that it can't go in HepData, yet somehow it's ok
> for it to be in public Rivet releases...

In this particular case Peter suspects ALEPH_2001_S4656318 uses a
dataset that was used for a Herwig++ internal analysis before we
converted those to use Rivet. The source of the original analysis is
Stefan Gieseke, I'll ask him.

> I would far prefer that we point ourselves toward taking everything
> exactly as it is in HepData, except (?) in the case that the paper
> doesn't have a HepData record at all.

I agree with this as the general rule. It also looks like
ALEPH_2001_S4656318 is the only exception to that rule we have so far,
so maybe we can manage that one by hand for now.

See you,

  David