[Rivet] New Rivet bootstrap script

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at cern.ch
Tue Jan 28 09:39:57 GMT 2014

Hi Frank,

Thanks for that. It sounds fine to me, and as long as we don't advertise
the "dev mode", it seems to be a useful feature for you guys so go
ahead. I suggest that we be *very* selective about to whom we suggest
using the dev mode, with plenty of warnings of the sort that you've
given below!)

Have the mentions of building from trunk / dev mode now been removed
from the wiki as David suggested? From a quick scan, I think they're
gone, but just checking...

Copying the setup scripts... I didn't think they made much sense *in*
the install tree: maybe copy them to the $PWD of where the command was
run? But in truth I don't mind where the bootstrap puts them: wherever
most people think they will be useful.

The ManualInstallation page: d'oh, I just updated that a few weeks ago!
Oh well. I thought it was useful to have the procedure documented,
especially back when the bootstrap script was *very* complex and no-one
could be expected to reverse engineer what it was doing. I've not
checked to see if your version is simple enough for an average user to
read as instructions, or if the dev mode stuff makes it a bit too
confusing, but if it is then it'd be fine to replace the current manual
installation contents with "Please read <link>this bootstrap

I'll send some related info about the yaml-cpp bundling, and release
plans now.

Thanks again!
Andy

On 27/01/14 21:13, Frank Siegert wrote:
> Dear Riveters,
>
> As discussed heatedly all day now, the Rivet 2.x installation
> bootstrap script and installation instructions needed an overhaul. I
> have committed a new script and restructured the installation
> instructions and would be happy about any feedback:
>
>   https://rivet.hepforge.org/trac/wiki/GettingStarted
>
> (Note, that there is also an undocumented and neatly separated
> INSTALL_RIVETDEV option, for everybody who wants to install the
> development version of Rivet. This also includes an installation of
> cython, which at best can be called fragile, in particular in case you
> ever want to update your Rivet working copy without running the
> bootstrap script again. So if you have the chance, do install cython
> with your system package manager in advance.)
>
> Cheers,
> Frank
>
> PS: Andy, I'm copying the rivetenv.sh scripts to INSTALL_PREFIX
> instead of BUILD_PREFIX now, hope that's ok?
>
> PPS: Anybody mind if we remove
> https://rivet.hepforge.org/trac/wiki/ManualInstallation and just refer
> to the bootstrap script as instructions?

Dr Andy Buckley, Royal Society University Research Fellow
Particle Physics Expt Group, University of Glasgow / PH Dept, CERN