[Rivet] installation

Frank Siegert frank.siegert at cern.ch
Mon Jan 27 12:43:23 GMT 2014

Hi Andy,

I think there is one simple issue explaining the difference in
perception between you and Frank et al.:
One actually needs to install *Rivet-dev* to get current analyses.

And installing Rivet-dev is the annoying bit, in particular for Rivet2
vs. Rivet1 due to:

1. Cython
It's simply not possible to install cython properly into the install
prefix automatically in a bootstrap script, which is why we have
worked around by setting the PATH and PYTHONPATH to find it during the
bootstrap. But that "solution" fails in case you want to actually
update your Rivet later (new analyses!) and compile again, since those
variables aren't set anymore. Swig was much easier in that respect.

2. hg
While SVN was basically available on all systems that I have worked
on, I often had to install hg myself.

3. YODA from hg (release sometimes isn't new enough for Rivet-dev)
+ its own dependencies.

4. autotools
I have seen two independent clusters where the autotools from SL6 (or
SL5, not 100% sure) lead to very hard to understand linker problems,
which went away with recent autotools.

5. yaml_cpp
This needs cmake for installation, i.e. yet another dependency. So if
that's bundled in the future, it will already make quite a difference.

Bottom line: no, it's not just about the Boost version in YODA.

Cheers,
Frank