[Rivet] installation

Frank Siegert frank.siegert at cern.ch
Sun Jan 26 18:47:44 GMT 2014

I hate to admit that I agree with Frank's rant here, and I have had
multiple users recently who made the same point, though admittedly
more politely. The bootstrap script currently is close to useless to
everybody who isn't installing on lxplus. I have it on my agenda to
replace it with a working version, but haven't got around to it yet.
And to be honest, all the changes and external dependencies that came
with Rivet2 have left me as a second-class developer (if even),
because there is a lot of stuff in the codebase which is beyond my
capabilities to fix -- I'm normally quite annoyed myself with even
installing Rivet on a new cluster, where
cython/yaml/yoda/boost/cmake/hg/fastjet/hepmc... isn't available. Some
of those are only necessary for the development version, but it's
still rather annoying.
This goes far beyond the switch to YODA, which I agree with as
necessary, though tbh I originally thought would be Rivet-in-house as
well.

Anyway, as I'm clearly not the majority of Rivet developers, and
mostly everybody else on the team seems to be happy about this usage
of fancy new technologies, separation and dependencies, there is no
point in discussing that in itself. But we definitely need a usable
bootstrap script much more urgently than we needed it for Rivet1.

Andy, what about renaming the current rivet2 bootstrap script to
rivet-2-bootstrap-lcg, and (me) creating a separate one which actually
does all the installations on its own (but without support for Rivet1
of course, to avoid it becoming too bloated as the old one did)?

Cheers,
Frank