[Rivet] bug

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at cern.ch
Mon Aug 11 16:53:19 BST 2014

Hi Frank,

I've been in touch with Holger about the problem -- last I heard your
problems came from running events with massless stable partons into
Rivet and filling NaN values into histograms. That's not something we
can test for, and I think YODA was/is right to abort when it gets a
crazy fill value that invalidates the histogram.

This error looks different but is hard to read -- it looks like
something goes wrong inside a Boost shared pointer header. I don't see a
"px != 0" assert anywhere in that analysis code, so is this a private
version of it? Unless that assert is in the Boost code and it's just a
coincidence that they used a physicsy variable name like px...

Duplicate analysis warnings are entirely intentional, and if you are
getting those it suggests that you are using a hacked copy of a standard
analysis and the system is warning that there is another one of the same
name later in the search path. Is that possible?

I ran this analysis happily a few days ago when discussing with Holger,
and it worked fine. I'm on the Rivet trunk of course, but I don't think
there should be any significant changes w.r.t. 2.1.2  (not 2.0.0,
right?)  Certainly no changes in how histogram pointers are handled :-S

Andy

--
Dr Andy Buckley, Royal Society University Research Fellow
Particle Physics Expt Group, University of Glasgow / PH Dept, CERN