[Rivet] --no-as-needed only exists for ELF linkers

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at cern.ch
Tue Jul 23 16:05:06 BST 2013

Hi Frank, these sound like good things to push. I've had problems with
the lxplus (5 and 6) autotools installations, and the LCG autotools has
been fundamentally broken by splitting the tools into separate
installation trees: turns out they don't like that.

It would be *so* nice to be able to get rid of the bootstrap, if HEP
systems were generally sane and up to date, but I don't see that
happening any time soon! But I do think we should aim to split into a
rivet1-bootstrap for Rivet 1.x and a rivet-bootstrap for the 2.x series
(and in general the active production series)... so much of the mad
complexity in that thing is trying to deal with situations like "if
you're on a system with AFS and you're installing from hg but you want
the AIDA branch and you want to install a private autotools, but
not...". To keep it maintainable I think it needs to be restricted in
scope, and cleanly cutting out support for the 1.x branch from the
maintained version of the script is the cleanest way to start.

Andy