[Rivet] Some make-plots suggestions

Frank Siegert frank.siegert at cern.ch
Tue Jan 29 14:12:17 GMT 2013

Hi Riveters,

Back when I wrote rivet-mkhtml, I added the "--full-range" for each
call to make-plots. The reason was that the default automatic y range
is typically too small for LHC plots, it does not even display four
orders of magnitude (ymin=2e-4*ymax). Do we still consider this our
best default? I wonder whether we could change this to e.g.
ymin=2e-7*ymax, in which case it would also make sense to get rid of
the default --full-range in rivet-mkhtml. If there are any objections
with respect to backwards compatibility of make-plots, maybe we could
make this a command line parameter replacing/amending the --full-range
option?

On another note, I was wondering how complicated (and desirable) it
would be to have the legend items right-alignable. I think it would
make sense because the legend is positioned in the top right corner by
default, and with a right-aligned legend there would be less overlap
with the plot. In particular, the coloured lines/errorbands/markers in
the legend should be on the right-hand side then, which would avoid
even more the confusion with the actual data. And it's much more
flexible with respect to long or short legend entries. Hendrik, do you
think the pstricks for that would be very complicated, or have you
possibly even implemented something like that before?

Cheers,
Frank