[Rivet] Problems when simulating an analysis

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at ed.ac.uk
Fri Apr 19 11:07:45 BST 2013

On 19/04/13 11:25, Chiara Zampolli wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> One more question. On the web
> page http://rivet.hepforge.org/code/dev/a00140.html I see the
> documentation for the ChargedFinalState. I have a doubt about the
> minimum eta value: here you find:
>
> ChargedFinalState <http://rivet.hepforge.org/code/dev/a00140.html> 	(
> double  	/mineta/ = |-MAXRAPIDITY
> <http://rivet.hepforge.org/code/dev/a00611.html#a2b7b3b854d8a789b4f8479ad849f29a7>|,
>
> 		double  	/maxeta/ = |MAXRAPIDITY
> <http://rivet.hepforge.org/code/dev/a00611.html#a2b7b3b854d8a789b4f8479ad849f29a7>|,
>
> 		double  	/minpt/ = |0.0*GeV
> <http://rivet.hepforge.org/code/dev/a00611.html#aec0e126d9991db8ad0b26139f5860568>|
>
> 	)
>

> In my analysis I defined:
>
> ChargedFinalState cfs15(-0.8, 0.8, 0.15);
>
> Shuold the first number be also positive? I need particles in [-0.8, 0.8].

No, it should be negative. You can use e.g. cfs15(-0.1, 0.8, 0.15) to
select only particles in a non-central region on one side of the
detector if you really want! (We're hoping to make this a bit more
powerful in future, but the implementation requires using some C++
features that aren't yet in widespread HEP production use.)

> Moreover, from here I think that the "*GeV" is not strictly needed, but
> I will add to be on the safe side.

It should definitely be added. I forget the exact units behaviour at the
moment -- I think we convert the incoming HepMC event to have GeV as the
base unit, but this isn't guaranteed to work forever. Plus, the code is
more humanly readable when the "*GeV" is there! The same thing applies
to using "/GeV" (or "/MeV", or whatever) when filling histograms with
dimensionful quantities.

Andy