[Rivet] Problems when simulating an analysis

Chiara Zampolli Chiara.Zampolli at cern.ch
Fri Apr 19 10:01:47 BST 2013

Dear James,

	Thanks for your reply!

On Apr 19, 2013, at 10:47 AM, James Monk wrote:

> Hi Chiara,
>
> I don't know exactly what your problem is, but I can suggest a few things that spring to mind:
>
> 	when you construct the ChargedFinalState with a pT cut, be explicit about the pT units because the momentum scale provided by the event depends on which HepMC library was used, i.e. do
>
> 		ChargedFinalState cfs15(-0.8, 0.8, 0.15*GeV);

Ok, I will add this.

> 	When you generate the Pythia events, make sure the particle lifetime cut is consistent in the ALICE analysis and your standalone Pythia run.  Experiments typically generate events with a ctau (lifetime) cut of 10mm, meaning that any particle whose species has an average lifetime of more than 10mm will not be decayed, but this setting may well not be present in a standalone run of Pythia unless you set it yourself.

I will check, this might be a good point in fact. How to I set this in Rivet in case?

> 	The weight does not have to be one, although it quite often is with soft-QCD runs.  Therefore you should include it in the histogram filling.  Do you know why your events in this case have a weight - is it something added by ALICE (by an event filter, for example).  Pythia standalone min bias events would not usually have a weight, and as far as I know Pythia cannot generate such events with a weight.  This may be an indication that you have a problem (e.g. not generating the same process in the two samples).

I naively thought that the weight would have been 1, that is why I added it. Obviously this is not the case, even for MB generations. I mean, when I simulate my events with agile, I only set the tunes, e.g.:

agile-runmc Pythia6:426 --beams=LHC:7000 -p "PYTUNE=100" -n 1000000 -o /tmp/zampolli/hepmc_TuneA_7TeV.fifo &

The fact that including or excluding the weight gives me differences means that the generators assigns weights to the events. Even though you write that min bias generation should not… ???
So, in any case the safest is that I simply do not include them, since as you say for MB events there should be no weight.

Thanks and cheers,

	Chiara