[Rivet] rivet

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at ed.ac.uk
Fri Apr 12 14:30:40 BST 2013

On 12/04/13 13:21, Dmitri Konstantinov wrote:
> Hi Andy,

Hi Dima, I've copied in the rest of the Rivet developers since I'm
certainly not the only one with an opinion on this!

> Sorry for being so slow responsive.
> We are still discussing what can be done with these not-movable scripts.
> At the moment we are going to install new version of rivet from cmake
> build system and after that wrong paths will be replaced by
> actual ones (sed, cmake patch, whatever).

Can you explain to me what role cmake will play in the Rivet
installation? You mean that you're using cmake to trigger the autotools
build? We have a long-standing agreement that the MCnet generator build
systems won't be modified without permission, and I can imagine endless
problems if you guys are planning to rewrite the Rivet build scripts in
cmake from now on.... I hope that's not what you meant!

> So please note that new version of RIVET will be installed from cmake
> build system, all rpaths( fastjet rpath) will be removed and it means
> there is a place for potential problem at your side.

Ok, this makes me even more afraid :-/ Is fastjet the only rpath that
gets pulled in? That probably comes from the output of fastjet-config
(another pesky config script!)

> And I have two question about rivet itself:
>
> 1) rivet package contains rivetenv.(c)sh scripts and after installation
> procedure we move it under platform directory (it was like that in
> GENSER3). Is it possible to put it as part of rivtet automake build system?

I'm confused: those are built as part of automake. Do you mean that you
want our automake to *install* those scripts? We don't want to do it
because they don't have a place in a "normal" installation tree, i.e.
one where all packages are installed under one $prefix which is
"automatically" visible to the user's environment. But of course quite a
few HEP users (including Genser) install to separate prefixes, so we
provide the script as an option to help. It'd be better if you keep
copying that setup script... or make your own if you prefer.

> 2) I have noticed that GENSER3 installation stripes debug symbols from
> rivet libraries. Any way to install rivet without debug symbols?

There are different levels of debug symbol: Rivet is built without
explicit symbols by default, but the ELF .so files do declare a .debug
block, which you can see with readelf -e. Unfortunately this is the
method used (perhaps wrongly) by ATLAS' script that checks for debug
symbols in production external libs, so the explicit use of strip is
required to keep that check from complaining. (With my ATLAS hat on, it
would be ideal if Genser provided *both* opt and dbg builds, so that we
can usefully use a debugger in our debug builds... do you know why that
isn't done?)

Dr Andy Buckley, Royal Society University Research Fellow
Particle Physics Expt Group, University of Edinburgh

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.