[Rivet] numerical difference between data and mc aida

Hendrik Hoeth hendrik.hoeth at cern.ch
Wed Apr 3 15:44:55 BST 2013

Hi Sunil,

Thus spake sunil bansal (9.bansal at gmail.com):

> I was expecting if there is possibility to fix it in the tool itself.
> There is no problem I can do it manually.

Honestly, I don't know which point of the whole tool chain we should
change/fix. Probably the best candidate would be flat2aida, but even
there we can't just mangle the user input in arbitrary ways, because we
don't want to close gaps between bins that should be there, or open gaps
that shouldn't, or create bins that overlap. Ultimately, the user is
responsible for the precision of the input file and this issue needs to
be addressed there.

Any later stage than the creation of the data .aida file opens a whole
new can of worms, because there are lots of different tools that need to
access and interpret the aida file. It's not just a plotting thing. It's
the automatic histogram booking in Rivet itself (overlapping bins,
gaps), the plotting, file conversion (to flat, to root), tuning tools,
merging tools, you name it.

Cheers,

    Hendrik

--
If your dreams don't scare you, then you are not dreaming big enough.