[Rivet] Plans for Rivet 1.8.0 release

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at ed.ac.uk
Tue Jan 17 11:15:05 GMT 2012

Hi all,

It's about time for another Rivet release. Since 1.7.0 we've had a major
change (improvement!) to the Jet interfaces, and Frank S wanted to
improve the W/ZFinder interfaces a bit more (what's the status of that,
Frank?), so the next release will have to be 1.8.0.

After this I think we have to aim to not change the API in the 1.x
series, and to get the YODA branch into the trunk asap.

So, what's left to do for 1.8.0:

* I would like to split the MC_GENERIC analysis into several distinct
analyses, since the current collection is rather a mish-mash, grown
according to validation/sanity checking needs. In particular I'd like to
separate the identified hadron rates into a separate MC_HADRONS, since
it takes make-plots a *very* long time to plot the ~3000 bins of the PID
histograms (it's not clever enough to merge all the consecutive empty
bins into a single Postscript line). I might also add a specific
charged+neutral min bias MC analysis that I wrote for ATLAS pile-up studies.

* W/ZFinder changes?

* New analyses near completion: ATLAS W+jets (done by Frank S),
inclusive leptons (done by Holger), diffractive gaps (by Tim Martin,
being checked by Holger and co.) Any non-ATLAS new analyses almost ready
to go in? I think there may be an LHCb one from Alex Grecu still to be
integrated.

* Other changes?

After this release, we really do need to merge the YODA branch into the
trunk, and make new 1.8.x releases (and 1.9.x if _forced_) from a
maintenance branch. The YODA merge will break things, but I think we're
nearly at the point where that will be tolerable, and will certainly be
fixed much faster by having several people working on it than just
Hendrik, David, and myself once every other month! Histogram
inflexibility has got to be the #1 Rivet FAQ at the moment, so making
this upgrade is long overdue.

Any comments, objections, etc.?

Dr Andy Buckley
SUPA Advanced Research Fellow
Particle Physics Experiment Group, University of Edinburgh

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.