[Rivet] inRange trouble

Hendrik Hoeth hendrik.hoeth at cern.ch
Thu Sep 22 12:22:44 BST 2011

Thus spake Frank Siegert (frank.siegert at cern.ch):

> I'm not sure where to place the cut of what has to be safe guarded
> against C++ mistakes of analysis authors, but if you and Andy agree
> that the above is a problem, then I'm outvoted.

I know that I'm not immune against that kind of errors, and I guess I'm
not alone. If a function takes numbers as arguments, users shouldn't
have to think whether or not the number in this case might maybe need a
decimal dot or not. We aren't writing machine code anymore. Last time I
checked, C++ was defined to be a modern high-level language, and if we
can't even make it deal with numbers in a humanly intuitive way ...

> Is Jenkins doing anything special in the build for this warning to
> show up? I can't reproduce it right now.

Try gcc 4.1.2. The good stuff. The proper stuff. The stuff the grid is
made of.

:-/

Cheers,

    Hendrik

--
A man without a dream in his heart already has one foot in the grave.