[Rivet] Question concerning histograms

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at ed.ac.uk
Wed Sep 21 13:40:34 BST 2011

On 21/09/11 12:38, Hendrik Hoeth wrote:
> Thus spake Martin Stoll (martin at particle.uni-karlsruhe.de):
>
>> (In fact I want to fill my histogram with the ratio of the entries of
>> two other ones.)
>
> If you want to divide two histograms, have a look e.g. at the finalize()
> method in STAR_2006_S6500200.cc.

Ah, I think I understand better now: you're doing a manual histogram
division and trying to write the results (where the bin width factor has
cancelled) into a *histogram*?

This idea of a histogram as a binned object whose values and errors can
just be set to desired values is one of those great gifts that ROOT has
given to the world! AIDA has two distinct data types for that -- a
"histogram" has bin contents, heights, etc. based on its aggregated fill
history, while a "data point set" is the thing whose x/y values and
errors can be set arbitrarily.

So you can either set the divided values directly on a DPS obtained via
bookDataPointSet(...), or (easier, or at least more standard) use the
division method that Hendrik pointed at.

Hope that helps!

Dr Andy Buckley
SUPA Advanced Research Fellow
Particle Physics Experiment Group, University of Edinburgh

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.