[Rivet] Segmentation fault when running agile-runmc on the grid

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at ed.ac.uk
Tue Oct 18 22:02:30 BST 2011

On 18/10/11 22:51, David Grellscheid wrote:

>> If you would find this useful (anyone, including other Rivet list
>> members!) then please add a supporting comment on that Savannah ticket!
>
> Generator-dependent annotations in HepMC? Why is that a good idea? The
> whole beauty of the Rivet approach is the independence from any
> non-physical considerations.

How could I disagree?! But used sparingly it can be quite useful for
digging into particular issues -- the effect of PDF type on MPI
simulation or the effect on the PYTHIA shower of disabling MPI are two
cases where I've wanted this feature. Of course, we'd never accept any
submitted Rivet analyses that required this feature, no generator should
write its internals as standard, etc., but in small doses I think
there's a case for it. YMMV.

Dr Andy Buckley
SUPA Advanced Research Fellow
Particle Physics Experiment Group, University of Edinburgh

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.