[Rivet] Sigma-unit error bands

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at ed.ac.uk
Thu Mar 31 10:50:32 BST 2011

On 30/03/11 21:47, Hendrik Hoeth wrote:
> Thus spake David Grellscheid (david.grellscheid at durham.ac.uk):
>
>> I just noticed that the error band plot can show units of sigma.
>> However, this means that the label 'MC/Data' is now wrong, or am I
>> getting something confused?
>
> That's because compare-histos sets "RatioPlotYLabel", overriding
> make-plots' default.

D'oh... only just saw this! So compare-histos has this logic:

if opts.RATIO_DEVIATION:
    paramdefaults["RatioPlotMode"] = "deviation"
if HISTOS[ref][name].isdata:
    paramdefaults["RatioPlotYLabel"] = "MC/data"

I can change this to:

if opts.RATIO_DEVIATION:
    paramdefaults["RatioPlotMode"] = "deviation"
if not HISTOS[ref][name].isdata:
    paramdefaults["RatioPlotYLabel"] = "Ratio"
    if opts.RATIO_DEVIATION:
        paramdefaults["RatioPlotMode"] = "Deviation"

which would use the default labelling for MC-data comparisons, and
"Ratio" or "Deviation" as appropriate for MC-MC (or unknown)
comparisons. Ok? Any problems with doing that?

Dr Andy Buckley
SUPA Advanced Research Fellow
Particle Physics Experiment Group, University of Edinburgh

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.