[Rivet] Particles with PDG ID 0

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at ed.ac.uk
Sun Mar 6 19:11:59 GMT 2011

On 04/03/11 22:16, Frank Siegert wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have encountered some Alpgen samples which contain particles of ID 0.
> Rivet throws an exception (from src/Core/ParticleName.cc) because of
> that. Now of course it doesn't make much sense to have a particle of ID
> 0, but should we maybe be a bit more robust against something like this
> and only print a warning or do you think it's ok to throw an exception?

Depends on what they represent, and whether they are stable. I would say
that warnings are ok for intermediate particles of ID = 0, but that if
they appear in the final state (status = 1 or 2... or 4, but I certainly
hope *that* doesn't happen!) then it's enough of a bug to throw an
exception.

Dr Andy Buckley
SUPA Advanced Research Fellow
Particle Physics Experiment Group, University of Edinburgh

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.