[Rivet] problems running rivet

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at ed.ac.uk
Mon Feb 28 22:33:55 GMT 2011

No idea, sorry. It seems to be correctly loading the analysis plugins
but dying when it tries to use one of the registered analyses... hmm.

It could be related to the known memory issue, which I'm afraid I've not
had a chance to fix yet and hasn't been high priority because of its
lack of effect on any of the most used systems. As far as I'm aware
Rivet does work on Macs -- we have some tests that get run on them, but
can't be any more help due to my own Mac inexperience. I'll make sure
that the code is blameless for version 2.0.0... maybe some static
analysis tools will help us.

Andy

On 28/02/11 10:16, Hannes Jung wrote:
> Dear Andy
>
> thanks a lot for your reply.
> I have attached the output file using the -lTRACE command.....
> Does this help ?
>
> Thanks a lot
> Cheers
> Hannes
>

> On 28.02.2011, at 10:02, Andy Buckley wrote:
>
>> On 28/02/11 07:17, Hannes Jung wrote:
>>> Dear Hendrik & Andy
>>>
>>> thanks a lot for your prompt reply (so late on Sunday...)
>>>
>>> Yes, you were absolutely right, it was the wrong beam setting.
>>> Now it seems to work on lxplus.  Thanks a lot.
>>
>> Good!
>>
>>> Could one include somehow a message, when one is using the
>>> wrong setting ?
>>
>> It did say "Removing incompatible analysis ATLAS_2010_XXXXXX" before
>> exiting -- that's meant to be the message. There is time to update that
>> before our next release, so I'll make it even more explicit.
>>
>>> Is there a way to see, why I still get a seg fault when running on a mac :

>>> Rivet running on machine Hannes-3.local (i386)
>>> zsh: segmentation fault  rivet -a ATLAS_2010_CONF_2010_031 example_out.dat
>>
>> I have no idea what is going wrong there: Macs have often given us build
>> problems, but the hourly build and test jobs on our testing Mac are (I
>> think) working ok. You could try running again with the argument -lTRACE
>> and send us the output. Or run it through gdb -- this can be done with
>> Python but might be easier using the less functional rivet-nopy program
>> which exists specifically for this sort of reason.
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> --
>> Dr Andy Buckley
>> SUPA Advanced Research Fellow
>> Particle Physics Experiment Group, University of Edinburgh

> Hannes Jung
> Email: Hannes.Jung at cern.ch
> mobile :+49 40 8998 93741
> http://www.desy.de/~jung
> Tel: +49 (0) 40 8998 3741 (DESY)
> Tel: +41 22 76 71691 (CERN)
> CERN - PH
> 40-3 B11
> CH-1211 Genève 23
> Switzerland

Dr Andy Buckley
SUPA Advanced Research Fellow
Particle Physics Experiment Group, University of Edinburgh

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.