[Rivet] Stable particle lifetimes

Peter Skands peter.skands at cern.ch
Wed Feb 2 12:57:13 GMT 2011

Hi guys,

While it seems relatively standard to use c*tau > 10mm at hadron
colliders (as is also mentioned in the Rivet manual under the analyses),
it was so far not completely clear to me what stable-particle definition
to use for the LEP measurements, and I think you have been in doubt too
- at least the Rivet manual does not give any explicit recipe.

As you know, this can impact multiplicity distributions and also
momentum fraction distributions (an undecayed particle with high x vs
two or more lower-x daughters), which we rely on for tuning
hadronization parameters.

I just wanted to let you know that at least in one LEP paper I've been
using (one not in Rivet so far), I now actually found the exact
definition they use. Of course, that's only really for sure for *that*
paper, but it's better than nothing, and the answer was a bit surprising
to me.

The paper is L3, http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ex/0406049v1

On p.26 where they discuss hadron multiplicities and x spectra, they say

"In this correction procedure, we assume all particles with mean
lifetime greater than 3.3 × 10−10 s to be stable."

Now, if I am multiplying correctly by the speed of light, that
translates to 10cm, not 10mm!

I briefly spoke to Leif about this, and he figures that could be
consistent with people in those days basically only setting the pi0
stable (and K0Long, I guess). He also mentioned that, in principle,
Rivet could be able to at least check the settings used for the run
(e.g., by seeing if there are any stable K0S in the actual event
records) and give an error message if it looks like the user put some
particle stable that he wasn't supposed to?

Anton and Stefan: this may mean that we want to be running the
generators with a cut at 100mm instead of 10mm when we do LEP analyses.
Rivet/Stefan, I'd also like us to look at possibly including this L3
analysis in Rivet. It is extremely useful since it uses b-tagging to
separate out light-flavor fragmentation from b-fragmentation, making it
possible to tune those separately.

As a side remark, the paper also mentions explicitly that all QED shower
effects have been corrected for, both ISR and also FSR. That's something
we should put in a comment in the manual if we include that analysis in
Rivet.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know, and ask if you have learned
anything more about the definitions used for the analyses available in
Rivet so far?

For reference, I am attaching plots illustrating the x and Nch spectra
for Pythia 8 with 10mm and 100mm, respectively. As you can see, there is
a noticeable affect at high x in the fragmentation spectrum, and there
is a HUGE effect on the Nch distribution.

Cheers,
Peter