[Rivet] [Professor] RivetProfessor Virtual Machine

Daniel Weyh weyh at physik.hu-berlin.de
Sat Aug 6 12:00:06 BST 2011

Am 06.08.2011 um 12:43 schrieb David Grellscheid:

> Hi everyone!
>
> what do you think about including a ready-made commmand with an rsync setup that can be used to update the generator part of the VM from a master location?
Generator part? Or Rivet part? Or both?

Sound like a good idea!
But this means, we/you/hepforge have to provide ssh for anonymous (I guess rsync was somehow best over ssh?).

Apart from that we have mostly "internal dependencies" (rivet on hepmc, ... something like this) which would be rsynced and
the build platform should be able to build standard i386 32bit (the lcg tag is i686 on the vm).
This could work, but I'm not at all familiar with cross (platform) compiling or at least cross system compiling

And if we do this, we can shrink the VM more and more... as we simply leave out anything (except from rsync, the update script and ssh and .. latex O.o) and force a bootstrap - which in fact leads to the leatest and greatest version of the VM. That's it! ;-)

But before this, I should try to build a package somewhere and run it on the VM - but not before breakfast.

Btw. do this on Hepforge?

-Daniel