[Rivet] Proposals for make-plots

Frank Siegert frank.siegert at cern.ch
Fri Apr 8 11:12:43 BST 2011

Hi Hendrik,

>> 1. If bin sizes are increasing along the x axis, then use LogX=1.
>> Rationale: I often write a quick MC analysis and don't want to
>> bother with setting all the plotting options. That's fine for
>> x/y-labels and title, since I can guess them from the histo name.
>> But for logarithmically binned x axes the histogram becomes not very
>> nice to look at with LogX=0.
>
> This shouldn't go into make-plots, but into compare-histos, since
> make-plots isn't responsible for deciding how the plot looks like. It's
> just for plotting. Not the place for magic. Besides that I doubt that
> you'd really like this option. Just consider the two attached plots; bin
> size increases, but I have the vague feeling that lin.pdf is preferred.

Thanks, two good points. So if I come up with a more stringent test
telling whether it's logarithmic in x then I'll try to find the right
place in compare-histos to put it into.

>> 2. The dimensions of the .png files have recently been increased
>> quite a bit by changing density=100 ->  density=120 (in r2775). I
>> don't care about the --png option, but for --pdfpng I would like to
>> decrease them at least back to the original value, if not even
>> further (e.g. back to the default of 72).
>
> I'm all in for 100. In fact I didn't like that commit, either. But 72 is
> too small in my opinion. I like to look at plots in detail on the
> webpage, without having to open all of them, and only open those where I
> want to have a really close look.

Have you tested it? I actually found it to be working quite nicely. I
have prepared the following for testing:

http://fsiegert.web.cern.ch/fsiegert/tmp/density/72/
http://fsiegert.web.cern.ch/fsiegert/tmp/density/85/
http://fsiegert.web.cern.ch/fsiegert/tmp/density/100/

If you still think 72 is too small, what about a compromise at 85? That
way I could at least have two plots on a half-width window of a 1680
pixel display. ;)

Cheers,
Frank